Saturday, January 31, 2009

Internet Safety

Internet safety is essential and I think these videos and others like them are very important. They must be shown to all children, and they must be shown the videos at a very early age. I thought the second one was a little dull and boring and since children today are so used to fast paced everything I especially liked the third one, with the character, Clickie. I feel children today can relate to the fast pace and the message would stick . The video for older children should be shown in schools every year and I feel that it is also the responsibility of parents to not only educate their children on the dangers but establish rules and controls on computer use.
There have been children that have committed suicide due to cyber bullying and of course we are all aware of children who have gone missing because of run aways who think they are meeting other children. We do live in a scary world but I feel as teachers, parents and good members of society, it is essential to teach our children about these dangers. If children , though naturally curious and some with a propensity to get into mischief truly understood the dangers from an early age, would realize that the internet for all it's multitude of good should be used correctly for their own protection.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with these thoughts on Internet Safety. We do live in a scary world. The Internet Safety I Video was well done for small children. The woman's voice - although soft and gentle seemed to have a subtle foreboding message. We must keep our very innocent children safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely agree with you that we should talk about internet safety with kids at an early age. I said the same thing about the second movie. I have a four year old who wouldn't look twice at it. It's sad but true about children missing due to meeting someone over the internet. And you are right that everything begins with someone setting them off on the right path.

    ReplyDelete