Saturday, February 7, 2009

Webquest

I have viewed the many webquest articles and video's in module 3. I must say that I like the idea of webquests. My only regret is that I know some schools do not have the technology available or the time allotted during the day for the students to work on them. As an at home project for students, though excellent, I fear that some inner city students may not have access to computers or the internet. They could however do the assignments at the library and should be encouraged to do that. I have not established the subject or the project I will be doing my webquest on. Though I would love to have my students do this, I am certain that because and only because of the financial situation of some, it will not be sanctioned by my district. I will make it an optional assignment perhaps.
I watch my students in the computer room when they have computers once a week, and I am just blown away by the speed and accuracy by which they can maneuver the websites they are allowed to go into. What a wonderful group to watch. They are never confused by the multimedia that surrounds them and I am sure they would love to have all subjects and assignments done by webquests! It does promote a higher order of thinking and I just wish we were given the opportunity to dispose of most of the ancient text books that we have and incorporate newer books with on line instruction. I just wish all school would step into the current time and realize what a disservice they are doing to some children.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your concerns about the availability of computers for your students. The other day I shared with my students the thought of starting a blog for the class so all my sessions could get involved on any of the many controversial issues we discussed in class and I was totally blown away when several of my students said they had no computers at home! Because of where I teach this a big surprise to me. So I can see how you would be concern about your kids. Don't give hope, maybe you can write a grant or something so you can get some computers for your classroom, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, WebQuests are sooo neat! It is sad how many schools do not have the resources and up-to-date technology to be able to access such useful and helpful tools like these. Have fun working on your project!

    ReplyDelete