Saturday, March 7, 2009

Web-Based Educational Resources

Considering that most students are so technologically fluid in using the computers and the Internet, what a wonderful tool computers are in learning. I feel in this day and age, our roll is as facilitators and we should encourage our students and our administrators to really adapt more technology into every day teaching. I loved the "Education in Second Life". I only wish I had this resource and this type of technology when I was a student. The possibilities are endless. What a wonderful way to encourage originality, creativity, and critical thinking skills, which are really falling by the wayside as we have to tailor our teaching to standardized test. What child would not want to come to class each day to work on a SIM? I can't think of any.
Another site, though most of them really did impress me, was the Rocket readerkids software. What a fabulous way to teach young children to love to read. Excellent site if you teach younger students. There is nothing better to teach a child to read than to have the words pronounced so the student can hear it. This would really be an asset for ESL learners. It can aso help parents that can not read or speak the English language and I would think that if it we set up at home this site could help the adults learn to read english as well.
I have used puzzlemaker .com before and it was always a great tool. I am a big fan of brainpop, and now that I have been exposed to other sites. I can see where districts that use technology and allow it in there every day teaching, will be at an advantage. I hope I can encourage my students to be able to use certain sites at home since time and computer availability in my school are limited. I am so excited to think that the future of teaching this way has endless possibilites. Let's get kids engaged and excited about school! If this is the future of teaching, I am equally excited to be part of this.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment on second life. I think that its a really fun tool and its too bad we didn't have stuff to use like that when we were in school. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you. I think that these learning tools are an excellent way to help our younger kids to excel. I, too, wish that we could have had some of this technology when growing up, it may have made me better in some aspects of my life. However, I do appreciate the fact that it is here to help my son to advance. Loved reading your comments - Have a Great Day!! Enjoy the Break.

    ReplyDelete